How to Register a Foreign Marriage in Germany

12 Oct 2017 Karina S. Henkel

How to Register a Foreign Marriage in Germany
Progress! I have finally stopped procrastinating and started this process. And, as usual, in hindsight I don’t know why I put it off for so long. Yes, I don’t like dealing with bureaucracy, but there is no way to avoid it these days – no matter how long I try to ignore it.
I Googled my way through several websites, but the German embassy’s website isprobably the best source of information on what to do.
I followed their instructions meticulously and did exactly what the website said. But I just learned that there was still something missing among all the papers that I had send to Germany. That’s why I want to put down here what, exactly, to do in order to register a marriage in Germany that was carried out in the US.

1. Download the form here.
2. Fill it out. Although the head of the form shows some fields that need to be filled out by the embassy, this can be ignored if you attach all necessary documents to this form.
3. Collect the originals of the following documents:
   a. Your marriage certificate
   b. Your passport
   c. Your spouse’s passport
   d. Your current certified extract of the birth record with official notes (has to be ordered in the registrar’s office of the town/city you were born)
   e. Your spouse’s birth certificate
   f. Your green card
   g. Your deregistration from Germany (if you lost that piece of paper – like me – you can order it at the Buergeramt of your city/town)
   h. Your and/or your spouses’ marriage certificates from previous marriages (if applicable)
   i. Your and/or your spouses’ divorce decrees from previous marriages (if applicable)
   j. Declare the citizenship of ex-spouses from previous marriages (if applicable).
4. Make two sets of copies of all your documents.
5. Find a notary public
   a. You and your spouse sign the form in front of the notary public and let him/her certify that she witnessed the signatures and the identity of you and your spouse.
   b. The notary public certifies one set of copies to be true and legal copies.
   c. The second set of copies does not need to be certified.
6. Make a copy of the signed form.
7. Send all these documents to:
   Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO)
   Abt. II - Personenstands- und Einwohnerwesen
   Standesamt I in Berlin
   Schönstedtstr. 5
   13357 Berlin
   You can send it directly to Berlin. Don’t send it to the embassy in the US.
8. Wait for the email that confirms receipt of your papers and the amount that needs to be paid in order to proceed.

Not a big deal – but I still think all that is a pain in the ass.